Today the girls and I headed up to the cities to get some hearing tests done. They say that 99.9% of kids with cleft lip and palate issues have to have ear tubes. Our girls had lots of liquid in their ears so when they had surgery last month, they got ear tubes put in. Today we were checking to make sure everything was working correctly and that there was no permanent hearing loss due to the 2 years of fluid in their ears. Ted had a lot of work to do so I enlisted my dad for back-up support. So the plan was that my dad would go with Quinn to have her hearing test and I would go with Jenna (she tends to scream a lot when a doctor approaches). Somehow Quinn got checked in but Jenna did not so our timing of the whole visit was a bit off. They each went into a small room with a bunch of equipment and had a few different tests done. Quinn did great, Jenna screamed a bit.
While we waited to talk to the doctor who put in the ear tubes, (honestly only about 2 min) the girls did what they do best, climb everything. They pushed and shoved each other until they were both content on the chair. They then proceeded to ask Grandpa for help down only to climb back up again.
The doctor came and looked at the test results and in the girls’ ears. You would think that these girls were complete angels, just sitting nicely for the doctor.
Thankfully, our trip did not involve a stop at the ER for their doctor.
Honestly, I think I just got lucky with the picture because they were really good. Anyways, the test results….Quinn seems fine. Her ear tubes drained out the liquid and everything seems ok. She did not do well with the test where she was suppose to respond with a head turn but she might not have understood what she was suppose to do. Jenna on the other hand is a different story. A lot of her tests were not good. Certain tissues or hair did not vibrate when they were suppose to, so there might be an infection, liquid still in the ears, or something else going on. The doctor put her back on antibiotic drops for the next 10 days and then we will repeat the test in a month. Hopefully she will pass then. I am not sure what happens next if she doesn’t, I guess I will figure it out in one month.