It will be a day I will always remember. Michele and I were wiping sweat from our faces while waiting in the Nanning Civil Affairs Building for our first glimpse of Xia Sheng Chun and Xia Sheng Jie. I remember sitting there with a mix of nervousness and excitement that continued to build as children from other orphanages began arriving and were quickly whisked off to meet their new families. Quinn and Jenna arrived in the last van. With the help of the orphanage nannies and director they climbed out of the van in their frilly, yellow dresses with red sandals and hand sewn name tags. They walked across the parking lot and up the stairs to meet us for the first time. I can’t say that first meeting went very smoothly, but it did make for some good stories and lots of memories that I can smile at now.
As of today, it’s already been a full year, I can hardly believe it. It’s been a roller coaster of a year filled with many, many ups and downs. So many things have changed..
- Quinn and Jenna are no longer afraid of the cats. Now the cats are afraid of the girls.
- Quinn and Jenna’s infamous red sandals they wore on that first day and could not part with have been outgrown and retired. Although they will probably be saved forever.
- Gone are the days of cleaning rice and noodles out of their noses with each sneeze during mealtime.
- Gone is the warm baby-formula milk in bottle.
But somethings haven’t changed…
- Jenna is definitely still a Daddy’s girl. Granted she does like Michele now too, but when I’m around, it’s me she’ll come running to.
- Our house is still very chaotic and noisy. A few of the initial blood curdling screams and temper tantrums are being replaced by the squeals of toddler play mixed with a healthy dose of sibling squabbles and rivalry.
- We are still dealing with sleep issues.
- Quinn and Jenna are still adorable, beautiful girls who will steal a Mommy’s and Daddy’s heart in an instant, just like they were the first day we met them.
So as time marches on, I’m sure our family will continue to grow up and change. However, one thing I know will never change: We are a family…
Quinn and Jenna, one year later, Michele and I are so happy that you became part of our family. We love you so much and are so proud of you. We can’t wait to see what the coming years will bring.
Happy Anniversary of Gotcha Day Jenna and Quinn